Wednesday 4 June 2014

Hiho hiho it's off to work I go...


Almost three weeks ago (20 days ago to be exact, 6 to go…but whose counting?!) I donned heals in favour of  out of necessity, I donned a conservative ensemble in favour of instead of my comfy mumu and jeans, and I quiffed the hair a little more profesh than my daily birds nest, then I headed out the door to face the real world. Not my real world, but the other real world, the one I've never really been a part of (still not a part of, just completing my DipEd prac- visual arts). Twelve years of nappies, craft and playdates is vastly different to appropriate staffroom decorum.

It started off on a bad note when I put a ladder in my stocking as I got dressed on my first day. The only spare pair were a "short" pair and the crotch waded half way down my legs the entire day. So trying to walk professionally in heals and hike the stockings up every two minutes was probably more of a concern to me than actually teaching my first class.
At lunch I braved the senior staffroom and everyone, I mean, every single staff member, pulled out a microwavable container or tuna and salad….except me. I unwrapped the same ham sambo I sent with my kids to school. I immediately felt out of the heat-your-fancy-lunch-loop. Ah to hell with fancy, I'm a mum first and foremost, and whats wrong with a sambo anyway?
The first two days I shook in my boots, it was all a bit overwhelming and I may have thought about having another baby once or twice. Just kidding (maybe not).
When did our youth become so tall? It's got to be more than hormones in chicken, I reckon someone has laced the water too. They're enormous. I've been swimming around their armpits for weeks and I'm in heals. O the heals….horrid stupid things. I feel perfectly feminine and sophisticated in front of the mirror at home, but the second I hit the school path I'm like a walking octopus. Hubby likened it to chewing a mintie with my bottom. Too many visuals, sorry.
Anyway, I know it's been way too long between posts, but to tell the truth, I've barely had time to breathe, let only blog. And I know I promised I'd keep reading my favs but I have to fess up and say, I haven't done that either. But I will, I promise - 6 days to go and i'll catch up on all of your news and shenanigans.
Despite the fear I had coming into this prac, and the loathing of heals every morning (my feet cry, I hear them), I have had a fabulous time, and I think this new stage of life might just be growing on me.
Anyway, it's a school night :) and Mrs Denahy has to put her head on the pillow before I pass out from lack of sleep.
Much Love to you all,
Liv x
ps a HUGE shout out to my Mother in law, Father in law, Mum, Aunty and my hubby for helping me out with Bear over the last few weeks. The house will have to wait. x


13 comments:

  1. I am just picture-ing it all!!! Your stories always have been in stitches!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I'd love an opportunity to dress up in heels ... for the first couple of days anyway.
    Good on you Liv, pleased to hear it's going well. Sorry ... I mean Mrs Denahy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been wondering how you were! Didnt realise you were going to be teaching highschoolers, assumed primary. impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi gorgeous!!! You have been busy. So exciting. And you are so right about kids being so tall - when I pick Bell up from school I can't believe how stringy some of the boys are?! I have the same issue when I pop myself into a pair of tights - fingers crossed you don't get your skirt caught in them when leaving the loo......trust me, it happens! I owe you an email......it's coming I swear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my, I have just snorted out loud at your terribly kind husband's commentary about the heels and mintie chewing...surely you decked him?!

    Wedges might be your saviour! Maintaining height amongst the Amazonian children but the stability of the wedge heel (and trendy too)....I did not know teachers had to wear pantyhose these days!

    I'm also giggling at the previous post and the escapee underwire.... so glad you share these stories with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Mintie with your bottom???!!!! HAHA!

    I was just reflecting on when I used to teach part time after my first was born. I realized that I liked the "dressing up" and "drinking coffee in my office alone" MUCH MORE than doing the actual teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you are an ART teacher! They can look like ANYTHING!!! Pull out your old doc martens and bright coloured tights! Wear what you are comfy in. xxxx How hectic are times for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh lady!!!! I am so happy for you! What a transition but it is in these moments that we shift and learn!!! Bravo...and please do let us know how things are going...no worries about playing catch up round these parts we will all still be here! You are one amazing mama! Keep at it! And happy week to you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've missed your writing Livy. So pleased we were able to catch up in the last 20 days despite the madness of Prac. You will make an incredible teacher, God has truly blessed you with all you need to make an impact. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you gorgeous pet! It was a whirlwind of a month but great none the less! Where are you watching tonights game? You are welcome at our digs again, if you can put up with the shenanigans. xxx

      Delete